Wednesday, July 19, 2017

garden news--Wednesday July 20, 2017

I think I know why my wave Petunias that were saved from the dumpster were declining so fast. The fertilizer that I had put on them in the hopes of reviving them was burning them to death. So I had no choice. I brought some soil at RONA which was pretty dead and lugged it home in the minivan. I dumped out all the dying Petunias and transplanted them. Hopefully they will come back alive from their near death experience.
The geraniums were in better shape so they will probably live.
Inside the house the aloe vera plants are sickly. I think it is because when I water the geraniums indoor I shouldn't be watering them.
http://www.chron.com/…/Why-do-aloe-vera-plants-get-black-sp…
Q: Some of my potted aloe vera plants have black spots along the outside of the leaves. — V.V., Houston
A: Sounds like the plant is getting too much water and perhaps not enough light. Plastic pots and glazed pots retain moisture more than unglazed terra cotta pots. Perhaps the pots have been in heavy rains. Use your finger as a soil moisture meter. Water when the top inch or more is dry. Make sure the pot doesn't sit in a saucer of water. If the potting mixture doesn't drain well, repot using a cactus-succulent potting mix. Give your plants some sun.
**
They have lots of sun so it must be the pots that I have them in are just not draining ones and so fungi are attacking them. I will stop watering the aloe vera and see if this helps.
Today again, I did nothing except take younger boy to see Embrace Orthodontics for his last follow up braces check up. So after this point it is only to contact them if the teeth move out of alignment or other problems. Younger boy has to wear his night guard at night and not just for the grinding but to keep his teeth in position.
Tomorrow is mum and Rebecca. Then Friday I am doing stuff with Sue and Ruth. Then Friday evening I am off to Calgary.
I did not do the evening walk today as I was saving Petunia lives.
Why do aloe vera plants get black spots? Some of my potted aloe vera plants have black spots along the outside of the leaves. — Plastic pots and glazed pots retain moisture more than unglazed terra cotta pots.
CHRON.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment