Friday, May 26, 2017

Hike #4 ---Mount Rundle Summit Trail

The exodus from Edmonton was incredible as the hordes of folks going to the mountains packed the highway. I had time to admire the farms I passed by with water puddles like wet nails in the mud. The trees were like rusks of green. Very soothing. I was stuck (as usual) behind a truck. Younger boy was sleepy and his mop of wild hair was even more tangled than usual as he put the window down.
Near Red Deer we had to slow down again due to a tow truck and the ongoing road work. The density of families packed into cans of cars, motor homes, trucks etc was incredibly moving. Why do we do this mass migration like lemmings for any place other than home? I figure it's to avoid doing laundry, mopping floors and in general keeping one's home in a liveable condition.
Once I got past Red Deer I was able to admire the many barns that patrol the muddy fields. There was an offer of an acre of land for $25,000 but since I did not have this money I could not make an offer. Multiple trees were dressed in filmy costumes so transparent I could see their limbs. Shameful. And the obligatory crow perched here and there added to the charm of the naughtiness. A brown cow and a light cow stood together still not yet made into steaks. A gathering of horses looked off into the distance (yes I was going that slow behind the truck).
 All in all I was getting sleepy by the time we got to our destination. Tomorrow hubby has threatened to wake us up at the earliest we can be forced out of bed to hike Mount Rundle.
This hike seems to be hard for my poor knees. Also I am worried about bears. The hiking poles may not be sufficient to protect younger boy from a bear attack in dense woodland as we slog upwards.
Mount Rundle Summit Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Banff, Alberta, Canada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.
DISTANCE
8.5 miles
ELEVATION GAIN
6102 feet
ROUTE TYPE
Out & Back
hiking forest views wild flowers
Description
Getting There
Facilities
A long difficult trip through the trees to the dragons back spine and on your way up to the very best views of the Banff Valley.
A long difficult trip through the trees to the dragons back spine and on your way up to the very best views of the Banff Valley. Parks Canada provides a detailed route description in Climber's Guide to Mount Rundle. Pick one up at the Banff…
ALLTRAILS.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment