Thursday, April 13, 2017

--see these poems? I am speaking for families who have no way to tell their stories------------------Inspect long-term care home before taking up residence 22 LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Posted 4 weeks ago I would like to extend my thanks to Colleen Macleay who addressed the issue of staffing in a long -term care environment (CJ letter, March 11). It may be of interest for the public to know that staffing numbers differ among LTC facilities. My mother’s home, has, in fact two personal support workers (PSWs) who are responsible for 27 residents. People should be aware of staffing variance prior to placing a loved one in a long-term care facility. I contacted the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care with respect to this issue and following a cursory inspection of the facility, they took the position that adequate care was being provided for the residents. I would advise anyone considering placement in a particular home, to visit the facility in the morning and determine how one PSW can get 14 residents up and ready for breakfast. My mother is one who needs to be lifted by machine requiring two people for safety reasons. Add such a consideration to Ms. Macleay’s figures and the ability to perform all the various tasks within six minutes defies reason. It is time for people to speak out on behalf of our seniors and for the personal care workers and registered practical nurses who are looking after our loved ones. Those interested in the long-term care issue are encouraged to watch the W5 segment scheduled for March 25 entitled Neglected Care. In part, this deals with the current class-action lawsuit initiated by Lori Dekervor against the Revera chain. She has alleged neglect resulting in the death of her 68-year-old father who died from sepsis and suspected pneumonia. If we don’t speak out now what will happen to all us baby boomers when it is our time in need. Laurie Raslack THUNDER BAY

Julie Ali
1 hr
#StandUpForYourFamilies --The easy thing to do is to move forward and ignore what happened to your loved one but this then raises the problem of other families going through the same problems. The hardest thing to do is to stand up for your families and to speak.
Speaking about what happened to your family members in the continuing care system is full of risks. There are the usual retribution efforts of the industry such as eviction, banning and lawsuits. But then couple this junk with the secrecy game of the government of Alberta which does not even make information available as the government of Ontario has been forced to do by the citizens of that province. We have in Alberta a non-transparent and indifferent government bureaucracy that is impermeable to the efforts of citizens to change the arrogant and entitled attitude of the top bureaucrats.
What is the answer to the turf protecting, the perks and power games? I would say it is the transparency we as families provide to the public. As more families enter the fun and games of the system all over Canada we will add to the repository of our stories.
Our stories told to the world will set us free. Free at last, free at last, free at last to tell the truth of abuse, harm, neglect and deaths. For no damn reason.
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

I put the words in their rooms
and I told them to learn their lessons
and when they failed to do what I asked of them
I blamed them
but really how could I expect maturity?


I put the songs in the dreams of poems
and set them in flotillas on the sea of life
I told them to go out and do battle
but they sank and disappeared
I began every day with the deception that I was succeeding


I gave up on success and all that junk
and instead worked on the family
the small boys and their holidays
I stayed close to my parents
and I told myself success is a balloon that bursts continually

instead of success I chose work
I began with the words I love
and put them in permutations to determine
vivacity       I took my words like small boulders
and I built a mountain to climb all by myself

and at the top of the first peak
I put my flag up     so that the world could see
this is my achievement and I am not done
with the climbing of these peaks      I make a new mountain
for a challenge for me   I tell myself

the good work of my life
is to play every day with words
and speak   of the small victories of ordinary men
and women        who succeed in overcoming fear
to speak for those without a voice in our society


I took my words
and made a mountain range of resistance
see these poems? I am speaking for families
who have no way to tell their stories
I build the mountain range that will stand long after we vanish

I tell the stories
of ordinary citizens
out of our boulders laid down in these mountains
will come the change we demand from government
we are building a permanent repository of stories of our families 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDsCJ4rGD4&index=1&list=RD5ZDsCJ4rGD4

ZAZ - "Si jamais j'oublie" [Official Video]



http://m.chroniclejournal.com/opinion/inspect-long-term-care-home-before-taking-up-residence/article_b12abeec-0bd4-11e7-9081-1fe4d9f0276a.html?mode

Inspect long-term care home before taking up residence

LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Posted 4 weeks ago
I would like to extend my thanks to Colleen Macleay who addressed the issue of staffing in a long -term care environment (CJ letter, March 11). It may be of interest for the public to know that staffing numbers differ among LTC facilities. My mother’s home, has, in fact two personal support workers (PSWs) who are responsible for 27 residents. People should be aware of staffing variance prior to placing a loved one in a long-term care facility.
I contacted the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care with respect to this issue and following a cursory inspection of the facility, they took the position that adequate care was being provided for the residents.
I would advise anyone considering placement in a particular home, to visit the facility in the morning and determine how one PSW can get 14 residents up and ready for breakfast. My mother is one who needs to be lifted by machine requiring two people for safety reasons. Add such a consideration to Ms. Macleay’s figures and the ability to perform all the various tasks within six minutes defies reason.
It is time for people to speak out on behalf of our seniors and for the personal care workers and registered practical nurses who are looking after our loved ones.
Those interested in the long-term care issue are encouraged to watch the W5 segment scheduled for March 25 entitled Neglected Care. In part, this deals with the current class-action lawsuit initiated by Lori Dekervor against the Revera chain. She has alleged neglect resulting in the death of her 68-year-old father who died from sepsis and suspected pneumonia.
If we don’t speak out now what will happen to all us baby boomers when it is our time in need.
Laurie Raslack THUNDER BAY



No comments:

Post a Comment