Monday, April 17, 2017

at sea

Julie Ali
Just now
With a book you can rebuild your life; with a book you can create monsters and magic. With a book you can shut the door on horror and be placed in a new landscape. With a book you can survive anything. Trust me. A book is medicine, doctor and cure.
Julie Ali 2 mins  ·  Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and because I have books I am fully in plac...
READINGCHILDRENSBOOKS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Julie Ali
2 mins
Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and because I have books I am fully in place in my world.
When I am tuckered out I go have a nap. The nap acts like a sort of broom sweeping away all the words from the floor of my brain.
After the nap I read a book. Usually the book is disappointing. I don't know why. I find that I am reading more children's books than books for adults. It may be this is all my brain can handle.
After reading a book by an adult who is supposedly a well recognized writer, I feel slightly off kilter. I wonder -what the heck? I feel again as if I need to have a nap.
Because I had two boys they had to have books. While they were kids we had a lot of kids' books. Now I see that the books that I read to them maybe the only books they will ever encounter again in paper format. They are both dedicated to screens now.
Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and because I have books I am never lonely either. With a book I have someone's heart, soul and mind in my possession. If the writer is capable and has been through a life worth living this somehow translates into the book I read and I am made wider by the work.
Other times I read a book and I wonder why I bothered to read it.
Books make you think even when they don't work. Books give you what people can't or won't give you --secrets. Books set you off on journeys that may be dead ends but still you do get to travel. Books harm you so you can't stay the way you once were. When I was a child a book was all i wanted. Because a book held treasure.
Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and I have never understood why you would sit in a house like a package unopened and not spend your entire life reading books.
Now of course I am pulled this way and that by the forces of a world that I don't belong to. It's a world that daily becomes more explosive and fragmented; divisiveness is built into this manufactured world.
But if you have books, it's easy to shut the door on this world and be held in the arms of love. Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and because I have books I am never lost but have a compass that I use to navigate a world that is unpredictable and dissolute. This world that has values that I don't understand-that can say one thing and do another. This world that tramples the most vulnerable like grapes underfoot. This world that seems to shout--look at me--I am successful---I have become the star of this particular pyramid of power.
Because the sea has the land it is never lonely and because I have books I have never yearned for the land and have simply been at sea all my life

Like
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment