Thursday, March 30, 2017

The orange moment is a pause moment. I simply cut the beautiful piece of fruit into sections for baby boy. I thought how far we had come from the years in grade 4-grade 7 where we had no idea about disability and how the child can get blamed for problems like ADHD and auditory processing disorder. We had no idea that hypothyroidism can be present in children. So many children who are not diagnosed with medical and neurodevelopmental disorders who are stigmatized and fall through the cracks. All of this completely unnecessary. Ignorance, failures to test, failures to provide required services for children and adults with disabilities and lack of interest in neurodevelopmental disorders means that we have a pool of talent that is being wasted. My son was lucky. I cut the orange into pieces and I reflect on just how lucky he was and is. The pause in between lawsuit prep is good for me. I know I have a happy life. I know my sons are going to make it. I know that the world is full of good people. I know the sun always comes out after every storm.



Julie Ali feeling blessed.
Just now
When we get into a sector of dismay and trouble it is tempting to simply give up and give in. Pause.
Look about you.
This is life.
All of it.
The hard parts and the beautiful easy parts.
Today I was cutting an orange for younger boy who has skipped most of his morning classes. I reflected on what he had told me yesterday. He asked if he could take fewer classes at NAIT next year because he was learning more by himself than at school. He said he just needs a portfolio to get work and not the Digital Media and IT diploma.
He is probably right. In the new world, it will be talent, hard work and innovation that will keep you employed.
But still he has to mature a bit and so I think he will do the NAIT diploma and then a diploma in film studies at SAIT before heading off to Vancouver Film School.
He is only 18 years old.
Sure he could be Bill Gates in disguise.
But I want him to have the time to mature before heading out to the work world.
So far no job offers.
He will become incorporated and flog his talent on the Internet I guess.
He will have to sell his talent like so many other artists.
But this is good.
He has to provide value.
Value is all we ask for when we do business with others.
No value and we stop doing business with the company.
The orange moment is a pause moment.
I simply cut the beautiful piece of fruit into sections for baby boy.
I thought how far we had come from the years in grade 4-grade 7 where we had no idea about disability and how the child can get blamed for problems like ADHD and auditory processing disorder. We had no idea that hypothyroidism can be present in children. So many children who are not diagnosed with medical and neurodevelopmental disorders who are stigmatized and fall through the cracks. All of this completely unnecessary.
Ignorance, failures to test, failures to provide required services for children and adults with disabilities and lack of interest in neurodevelopmental disorders means that we have a pool of talent that is being wasted.
My son was lucky. I cut the orange into pieces and I reflect on just how lucky he was and is.
The pause in between lawsuit prep is good for me. I know I have a happy life. I know my sons are going to make it. I know that the world is full of good people. I know the sun always comes out after every storm.
Aimee Sinclair
Follow · Yesterday ·
#believeinyourself💜
LoveShow more reactionsCommentShare

LikeShow more reactions
Comment



There were many good people like Dr. Baxter, Dr. Erik Wikman, Dr. Lappa and Dr. Levinsky who helped my younger son get to the finishing line of almost independence. I am grateful to all of them. The child health centres at the Royal Alexandra Hospital and the Grey Nuns Hospital are an invaluable resource for all families who have children with neurodevelopmental disorders because the expertise is not present in the education system which is in the Stone Ages. Special education and health supports/services are just not present leading to burnt out parents who are struggling to provide what is not present in the system.
The situation has not changed much since the time younger boy was in Grandview Heights School. There are some supports in the high school system; Strathcona High School has dedicated special education staff which is essential and NAIT seems to have services.
But why are these supports and services so late in the day? Good question.
In any case, don't depend on the system. When you think there is a problem go beyond academic testing to psychologists and the child health centre. The system isn't set up for folks with disabilities. You will have to chart your own course.
LikeShow more reactions
Comment
Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment