Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Subject: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta-------Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM---Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:43 PM------

I felt grumpy today. It's not a big thing but when I do an investigation I like the GOA to be respectful of the time I am taking to do my work. I did not feel respected today. In fact, I felt that the GOA folks were just too busy to bother about a stay at home mum working hard to change the world.
I had written to Jennifer in the Justice Department because I wanted to know why so many citizens end up dead when they come into contact with police.
Most people aren't curious about things like this but I am. I noticed that folks who came into contact with police seem to be ending up with fatality reports. I wanted these fatality reports. I requested them all in September 2016. The correspondence is below.

I thought that Jennifer was doing the search for records and would provide them to me.
Instead there was a wait for the records to be uploaded to the computer. I am still not sure if the historical records are going to be provided to me.
I am not happy.
When Jennifer does this work she should simply say she is too busy to help me and that I need to wait for an upload. Instead I had to run around asking the Alberta Connects folks every now and then and get impermeable answers. They wanted me to do the search myself but what is the point if all the records aren't up?

In addition who will give me the records that are not up?


From: Julie Ali <
Date: Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta
To: Jennifer Fuchinsky <Jennifer.Fuchinsky@gov.ab.ca>, Ministry of Justice <ministryofjustice@gov.ab.ca>, Office of the Premier <premier@gov.ab.ca>


Dear Ms. Fuchinsky,
With reference to  historical reports does this mean reports not in the system yet? Can you search for the deaths of prisoners in these reports still?
Julie 

Historical reports will continue to be uploaded as time and resources permit.


From: Julie Ali <
Date: Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Subject: Fwd: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta
To: Ministry of Justice <ministryofjustice@gov.ab.ca>, Office of the Premier <premier@gov.ab.ca>


Hi,
I have been repeatedly asking about the status of this project.
I have asked at Alberta Connects.
Why did no one tell me that you were all waiting for an upload?
This is poor service.

Sincerely,
Julie Ali


From: Julie Ali
Date: Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta

To: Jennifer Fuchinsky <Jennifer.Fuchinsky@gov.ab.ca>


Dear Ms. Fuchinsky,
If you were waiting for the upload you could have told me this. I was assuming that you were working on this project. Hence my repeated questions to Alberta Connects.
This is poor service.

Sincerely,
Julie 

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Jennifer Fuchinsky <Jennifer.Fuchinsky@gov.ab.ca> wrote:
I was notified of this upload yesterday.

From: Julie Ali [mailto
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:43 PM
To: Jennifer Fuchinsky
Subject: Re: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta

Dear Ms. Fuchinsky,
Thank you for your assistance.
Why didn't you let me know yourself earlier?
Sincerely,
Julie 

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Jennifer Fuchinsky <Jennifer.Fuchinsky@gov.ab.ca> wrote:
Hello Ms. Ali,

All reports dating back to 2004 have now be uploaded to the Open Government website and you are able to search them yourself. Historical reports will continue to be uploaded as time and resources permit.


Jennifer Fuchinsky
Fatality Inquiry Coordinator
Justice and Solicitor General
Legal Services Division
Phone:  780-422-4077

AB-JSG 2Color CMYK 



From: Julie Ali [mailto:]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 8:33 PM
To: Jennifer Fuchinsky
Subject: The fatality reports---: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta

Hi,
I requested the fatality reports on deaths of prisoners in Alberta. You responded September 10, 2016. When will this request be completed?
sincerely,
Julie 


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jennifer Fuchinsky <Jennifer.Fuchinsky@gov.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:13 AM
Subject: RE: Deaths of prisoners in Alberta
To: Julie Ali <
Hello Ms. Ali, in response to your questions:

1.      I can run a search and provide these for you. How far back do you want them?
2.      At this time there is not a public database.
3.      The reports are public and are available to anyone who makes a request.

Jennifer Fuchinsky
Fatality Inquiry Coordinator
Justice and Solicitor General
Legal Services Division
Phone:  780-422-4077

AB-JSG 2Color CMYK 


This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment