Friday, December 9, 2016

If the minister can provide direction to the dentists to set up a fee schedule why can't the ministry provide direction about not prematurely terminating handicapped citizens? I guess money matters are more important than the lives of handicapped citizens for the GOA. As for the advice to go the Health Advocates, the last time I did this they said they were too busy with complaints, understaffed and could not help me. It's curious that the GOA can't do the legislative work required and has to download the work of protection of handicapped citizens to bodies that don't have the legislative ability to ensure their safety since they have to follow the legislation set up by the GOA folks. It's all a GOA maze folks. Watch your handicapped family members well or they will get lost. Trust me.

Since I am a bookworm very little intrudes in the mass of books in my house.
I have reduced some of the book matter in the house by taking two Helva loads of children's books to Goodwill but I have still got many books to go through. I don't know when I will get through all the reading matter.
Sometimes my brain feels as if there are too many words wallpapered inside it.
Then there is the problem of learning to draw. I was going to do this before the lawsuit began. It's very disruptive to have a lawsuit like a giant bald eagle skimming the air above a family but what can you do? I mean I am not suing anyone. Folks are suing me.
The drawing plan has been delayed. It may be that I will get to this when the lawsuit is over in five or ten years. Based on Jessica Ernst's lawsuit timeline it may be sticking around for ages. It is hard to believe that the GOA even encourages folks to go do a lawsuit when the justice system is even more of a maze for folks than the GOA. Here is the last bit of chatter from the GOA over the DNR order junk:
From: <AlbertaConnects@gov.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 9:33 AM
Subject: RE:End of life decisions --Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (MOST) and Advance Care Planning (ACP)(ACR-421417)(ACR-424163)
To:
**********please do not reply THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT MONITORED **********
Thank you for visiting the Alberta Government feedback web site. Following is the response to your question prepared by Health :
Alberta Health has received your inquiry regarding End of Life Decisions.
We acknowledge that in your last email, and in extensive, previous correspondence between you and Alberta Health, you have indicated that you have not been satisfied with your experiences in the health care system. We have responded on numerous occasions to provide information aimed at connecting you with the appropriate resources to follow up with regarding your concerns. We continue to encourage you to connect with those resources, as they have substantive experience and supports in place to help patients with some of the concerns you have expressed. Your last email appears to indicate that you are no longer writing to seek information but to continue to voice your dissatisfaction with the system.
Health services in Alberta are delivered within a system where responsibilities and accountabilities are shared with other Ministries (such as Alberta Human Services), our regional health authority (Alberta Health Services), and many other organizations and stakeholders.
The Government sets and oversees the legislative framework for our health system, including the relevant statutes and regulations that provide the authority for a number of stakeholders to deliver health services in Alberta. We have noted your concerns, and provided advice to you in the relevant areas. There are a number of ways to address the concerns you have raised and previous correspondence has provided you with details about a number of options.
One possible resource you may wish to contact is Alberta’s Health Advocate. She and her staff are able to provide information on how to address issues, such as the ones you have identified, within the health system.
You may also wish to consider retaining a lawyer to seek legal advice on the matters you have raised. You may be interested to know that the Law Society of Alberta provides a lawyer referral service. There is more information on this service available online at www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/lawyer_referral.aspx.
Thank you for contacting Alberta Connects.
On 2016-11-19 01:02:00.0 you wrote:
Thank you for the information you have provided in response Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment
(MOST) and Advance Care Planning (ACP)(ACR-421417).
Your response still does not provide any sort of safeguards for handicapped citizens as evidenced by my
sister's case.
Let me again go over my concerns and indicate to you that all the safeguards the government had in place
were of no use whatsoever.
1) The "Do not Resuscitate Order" was placed by one physician at the Grey Nuns Hospital in 2010.
2) We did not find out about the 2010 DNR until we got my sister's medical files in 2015 and 2016.
3) The later DNR orders and do not intubate, no ICU orders were added by other physicians at the Grey
Nuns Hospital against the requirements of my sister's personal directive as well as family.
4) I complained to patient relations at the Grey Nuns Hospital as well as the CEO of Covenant Health.
They did nothing. The process is pretty bogus in my opinon.
5) We went to other doctors. They all stood by their colleagues. Eg. the doctors at the University of
Alberta Hospital refused to change the designation set by the Grey Nuns Hospital despite family requests
as well as requests by my sister. So really if all the doctors are supporting each other how the heck will a
handicapped citizen fight a DNR?
6) It was only the ethicist who was hired I believe by AHS who asked the doctors to consider why they
were resuscitating drug overdose cases but not my sister that got them to reconsider. Well at least the
doctors at the University of Alberta Hospital.
7) So this raises the question of how my handicapped sister would have been able to save her own life
without an advocate? She would not have been able to do this. So this tells me in this situation,
handicapped citizens will be terminated prematurely.
8) The policy may be present as noted here but what is the use of it if no one is doing what it requires?
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/…/if-hp-acp-gcd-key-mes…
The ACP/GCD Tracking Record continues to
be an important mechanism to foster the relay of
best information available, in support of ideal
decision-making with and for patients. The
ACP/GCD Tracking Record assists in preventing
disputes, and provides better information regarding
the history of decision-making throughout the
patient’s trajectory of care.
******
For example a GCD tracking record is best practice and was not done in my sister's care despite the fact
that the DNR went from 2010 to 2015. So really what AHS and Covenant Health are doing is providing
policy and there is no assurance that anyone is doing what is required. In fact, from one hospital to another
the DNR business seems to vary.
7) I am curious how you expect a handicapped patient to go to the other dispute resolution or complaint
places you have mentioned such as the Ombudsman. Do you expect handicapped patients to understand
that they have a DNR when they have carbon dioxide narcosis such as my sister had and then dispute it?
What you are saying is impossible. Such patients are vulnerable, at the mercy of doctors and subject to
premature termination in my humble opinion.
8) How would someone like my sister manage to contact the Ombudsman when we aren't able to even get
the folks at Covenant Health to explain why they have the series of DNR, do not intubate, no ICU orders
on my sister's file? The system is a farce. I am telling you that there needs to be a formal inquiry into the
mess that happened with my sister and if you all won't do it I guess I have to yap about this for years and
years.
I see no reason for the Ombudsman to do an inquiry and spend two more years figuring out that everyone
messed up. Everyone messed up. There you go. And now what safeguards will be put in place so that
vulnerable handicapped citizens do not have to endure the hell my sister went through?
9) I am curious. Is anything going to be done? The chatter you have provided me is well known and useless.
I am not talking here about policy, procedure or legislation. What I want to know is what government is
doing to ensure that what happened to my sister does not happen to another handicapped citizen who is
unlucky enough to lack advocates.
10) You mention complaining to professional bodies. I don't think you all understand that the main
purpose of professional bodies is not to protect the public but to protect the professionals. I have had the
experience of complaining to the College of Physicians and Surgeons when I nearly died in childbirth with
my first child. I feel that complaints about physicians usually end up in no action. I doubt that any
complaint about a DNR will result in any sort of response that will help handicapped citizens and I doubt
that anyone at the College is interested in the patients who are being prematurely terminated in this
manner. Why would they be? It's not their problem. It's the problem of families.
11) Since I am already writing to you I would like to mention some information that is still outstanding. I
requested a respiratory review of the Good Samaritan Extended Care at Millwoods. I have not received a
report. I want to know the results of the AHS respiratory review that I requested for the facility. When
will I get this report?
It is troubling that I have to keep writing to the government to clarify the issue. The issue is simple. We
have handicapped citizens. They can be killed by doctors who don't do their due diligence in terms of
investigation. Do not resuscitate orders can be placed on their files contrary to their personal directive
requirements. And y'all just stand around and say complain to another level of bureaucracy when it is the
job of government to fix the problem and not send me on a wild goose chase of the Shauna McHarg type.
We've learned from what happened to Shauna. It's to hold the right people to account. I am holding
government--specifically Alberta Health to account. What are you doing to protect handicapped citizens
from what happened to my sister?
Sincerely,
Julie Ali
The Alberta feedback site is constantly updated to provide you with important information about Alberta programs and services. We invite you to visit us soon. Your Alberta, a new e-newsletter from the Government of Alberta, will keep you up-to- date on the province’s latest projects and plans.
Internet www.Alberta.ca (AC-424163)
**********please do not reply THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT MONITORED **********
If the minister can provide direction to the dentists to set up a fee schedule why can't the ministry provide direction about not prematurely terminating handicapped citizens? I guess money matters are more important than the lives of handicapped citizens for the GOA. As for the advice to go the Health Advocates, the last time I did this they said they were too busy with complaints, understaffed and could not help me.
It's curious that the GOA can't do the legislative work required and has to download the work of protection of handicapped citizens to bodies that don't have the legislative ability to ensure their safety since they have to follow the legislation set up by the GOA folks.
It's all a GOA maze folks. Watch your handicapped family members well or they will get lost. Trust me.
The Law Society’s Lawyer Referral service might help you find a lawyer when you need one. The service provides you with the contact information of up to three lawyers who will review what legal services might help you. Please note however, the service has no connection with Legal Aid Alberta nor do...
LAWSOCIETY.AB.CA
LikeShow more reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment